Challenges, Commonwealth Games, Trains and Heroes!
25 July - 19 August 2022
We had 4 weeks of themed activities for a fantastic Summer.
25-29 July – Challenge Week
A week of indoor and outdoor challenges– including balancing, building, getting messy and having a go!
- Full day trip to the amazing Crocky Trail near Chester with rides, slides and a mile-long trail with bridges, rope swings, balance beams crossing the Crocky stream.
- Scavenger Hunt– solve the clues to find the hidden objects – work in teams
- Water relay challenges – get wet and have fun and collect the most water for your team
- Lego challenges – build the highest, longest, coolest, strongest structures and objects
- Food challenges – guess the food from feeling, smelling and tasting it! (if you dare!)
- Tower challenges – we love building things out of unusual things (marshmallow and spaghetti?)
1 – 5 August – Commonwealth Games Week
For the Commonwealth Games week we had our own celebration of sport, culture and friendship.
- Trip to Longford Park Athletics Track, Chorlton – we hired the whole track and athletics equipment and we tried lots of different sports (with medals)!
- Local sports coach ran two multi sports sessions at the Scout Hut
- Smoothie making and food from the Commonwealth to make and taste
- Painting flags of the Commonwealth
- Making friendship bracelets inspired by other commonwealth countries
- Gym role play area – keep fit throughout the day and take an exercise class for fun!
- Range of outdoor and indoor sports activities across the week including basketball, cricket, badminton, volleyball and table tennis
8-12 August – Transport Week
Fun with trains, wheels, ships and much more. Everyone got to be a train driver and passenger this week!
- Trip on a train and a woodland walk with a picnic
- Role play – Kidszone Train Station, ticket office, be a conductor, driver or passenger – trains leaving every half hour!
- Design paper ships and use wind power to race them
- Make giant junk model train
- Train and bridge building challenge
- Wheel designing using straws
- Construction toy challenge – using Knex or Lego make the strongest and fastest vehicle
15-19 August – Heroes Week
We went superhero crazy and had fun with costumes, skills, family heroes and team games.
- Make our own Comic Books – design your own superhero and draw/write a story about them
- Mask making craft activity – use your favourite movie superhero as inspiration
- Hang out in the ‘Superhero secret hideout’ in our Superhero role play area
- Take the Superhero Bowl challenge – a trip to Tenpin at Parrs Wood Entertainment centre for a game of bowling in our Spiderman and Ironman Superhero Teams
- Paint or draw your own Family hero posters
- Make and decorate our own Superhero biscuits
- Superhero Party Day with dressing up, face painting and a bouncy castle and special guests..